VLCPA logo

Recent Tweets

History

VonLehman History Timeline


1943 - 
Joseph C. VonLehman, Sr. entered public accounting with Haskins & Sells, a predecessor of Deloitte & Touche.

1946 - VonLehman begins. Just three years into his accounting career, Joe starts his own practice. Joe VonLehman never expected that his one-person practice would become what it is today, one of the most respected full-service accounting firms in the Tri-State.

In response to the growing number of clients who sought his services, Joseph C. VonLehman, Sr. took on a partner, Bob Lemker, in 1962. The year 1972 marked the beginning of VonLehman & VonLehman, as Joseph C. VonLehman, Jr. became a Shareholder. It was during the ‘70s that VonLehman & VonLehman began to expand their services beyond traditional tax and accounting practices.

1975 - VonLehman & VonLehman merged their practice with Robert Hofacre and Clifford Kohlhepp. The new firm of Kohlhepp, VonLehman & Hofacre was the largest firm in Northern Kentucky. Mal C. VonLehman, Andrew J. VonLehman, and Michael E. Wilson became Shareholders in 1978 and the renewed firm of VonLehman & VonLehman moved its offices to the Drees Building in Ft. Mitchell.

1980's - Accounting began to take on a much broader role in business. This marked a period of change and phenomenal growth for the firm. The firm began to offer a variety of new services better serving their clients through taking an active role in providing business advice to clients while specializing in several industries including medical practices and construction. The 80s brought the addition of such services as feasibility studies, forecasts and projections, strategic planning and computer services to clients. In 1980, the firm merged its practice with Melvin W. Kist and Phyllis A. Taylor and opened new offices in Blue Ash, Ohio as VonLehman, Kist & Company. In 1982, Joe VonLehman, Jr. took over officially as Joe Sr., the founder of the company, retired. Shortly thereafter, the firm became VonLehman & Company. In 1989,VonLehman & Company expanded their services further by joining CPAmerica, an international network of independent CPA firms. Through this alliance, VonLehman could provide the latest in accounting services for clients with local as well as broader national and global interest.

1990's - The firm further developed its expertise in manufacturing and expanded its medical expertise to include hospitals, home health agencies, and nursing homes with new services including cost reporting and reimbursement consulting. Other new services such as business valuations and estate planning were added in preparation for the largest transfer of wealth in world history, which will occur in the next fifteen years. Following the departure of Joe VonLehman, Jr. in 1993, Mal VonLehman became the President of the company and the firm continued to thrive. In 1994 after playing a major role in the firm's success for over 20 years, Mal VonLehman died at age 43 from cancer. Andy VonLehman became the new managing Shareholder. The firm continued to grow even further, as VonLehman & Company moved to a larger Blue Ash office to accommodate expansion which was led by Brian Malthouse.

2002 - West, Vallandingham & Company, a well-regarded local CPA firm with a strong 1040 practice became part of VonLehman & Company.

2009 - After 15 years as President of the firm, Andy VonLehman passed the responsibility for firm leadership to Brian Malthouse. Brian became the first non-family member to serve as President of VonLehman & Co.

2013 - VonLehman acquires Dunbar, Cook and Shepard (DCS), thus expanding its service region into Indianapolis, Indiana.

2016 - Due to recent growth, VonLehman consolidated offices by closing their locations in Blue Ash and Fort Mitchell and opened their new state of the art headquarters in Fort Wright, Kentucky. Because the firm is dedicated to the Greater Cincinnati area and wants to keep a presence there, VonLehman opened an office at the Kenwood Collection in Cincinnati.

2018 - VonLehman moved Indianpolis office from Woodfield Boulevard to Castle Creek.